TOMORROW! OCT 6! 7PM. Los Angeles! Gallery 1988 presents “THE BUTCHER KINGS”, a collection of over 80 new affordable ($300-$1000) acrylic paintings and drawings from Skinner and myself. Skinner and I have been living together for the last month where we completely destroyed all of our memories of the pop-culture icons we have grown to love, then channelled the soul of a cynical, witty, self-destructive and borderline insane man-child and reconstructed our memories to create an odd new world of mort.
"The BUTCHER KINGS is fucking hilarious. This show is the most fleshtacular event of the decade. It does for the mind what meat does for teeth!" -Matt Maiellaro, co-creator of Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The images of the paintings are not being shown until the show opens because we are encouraging you to come down and allow yourself to be sucked into the entire collection at once. All pieces will be online for viewing/purchasing. Meanwhile, to give you an idea of the mindstate that Alex & Skinner have transcended to during the creation of the show, they have spread around some random footage only labeled “The Butcher King Tapes”. Below are a couple of the videos and some more info on the direction of the show. See you there!
WARNING: “The Butcher Kings” show contains graphic and sexual imagery that may be inappropriate for young children.
Oct 6 -29 (Opening reception Oct 6 @7Pm, free admission)
Gallery 1988 Melrose
7020 Melrose Ave
And some words from Skinner and I regarding the scope of the show:
When Skinner and I met in the late 90’s, the Internet hadn’t yet been integrated as a common marketing tool for artists and musicians, and the actual outlets that WERE available for us to spread our imagination and artwork out to were limited to friends, family, schools, the local comic shops and the occasional small cafe-galleries and musical acts that catered toward non-traditional artwork. The bi-product of being undeniably driven by the passion to create without having outlets for either critiques OR validations, however, was that we both created our artwork strictly for ourselves and to make US happy.
Over the course of the last decade, as the Internet has become a more common and extremely useful tool in all aspects of art appreciation, execution, networking, and entrepreneurism, Skinner and I have attempted to adapt our thinking and artistic approaches in conjunction with this accelerated technology, but on numerous occasions we have also caught ourselves falling victim to this new widespread accessibility to our artwork.
The Internet provides such a rapid firing of both criticism and praise that, over the course of the last few years, has made both Skinner and I almost TOO aware of what people will like and dislike when our work is displayed publicly, causing us to recently question just who we are now creating art for. Are our imaginations subconsciously aware more so now of what others will think about our art? Are we now being secretly driven to create something that more people can “relate” to in hopes that we will in turn get more Twitter followers and more Facebook “likes” and somehow transcribe that invisible validation to more monetary success? In short, Skinner and I both realized that, for whatever reasons, we were taking ourselves too seriously.
Well, fuck that.
We missed creating art with the sole purpose of making ourselves smile and laugh. We missed not caring if we “lose a follower” by confusing someone with a drawing of VIKKI from Small Wonder or offending someone with a drawing of a demonic dick if that dick was fun to draw. And trust us, dicks are fun to draw. And they’re hilarious.
So in an attempt to re-unite our fearlessness, and to simply have fun using our separate memories and inspirations as our tools, Skinner and I present to you, “THE BUTCHER KINGS”.
Using the existing pop culture icons that we adore, and mutually drawing inspiration from various sources including Gary Larsen’s ‘The Far Side’, Jack Kirby, Wheel of Fortune, Carrot Top, Filmation Cartoons, Robot Chicken & Aqua Teen Hunger Force, we imagined what would happen if all of a sudden the memories of every pop culture property had begun to be torn apart by an unknown force and, in order to save the memories from total eradication, had to be gathered, reassembled and possibly even pushed off of a cliff by someone who was goofy, cynical, socially inept and slightly insane. That person….is us.
- indianazoes likes this
- crispychris7 likes this
- m-uu-n likes this
- xlifeofanomadx reblogged this from theartofskinner
- creepdick reblogged this from theartofskinner
- ungoliantdoom likes this
- cartooncharacterss likes this
- exhibicionismo likes this
- presidentspooky reblogged this from laughingsquid and added:
- herbertproctor likes this
- le-cons likes this
- c3lluloidhistory reblogged this from pardeemonster
- theartofgreymatter likes this
- dzumeister reblogged this from laughingsquid
- bballerdancer likes this
- kyoukiranranran likes this
- industrychains reblogged this from pardeemonster and added:
- suplittleshit reblogged this from pardeemonster
- itsa52now-sowhat reblogged this from pardeemonster
- pinkrelish reblogged this from pardeemonster
- believeflo likes this
- dekeiwhaya likes this
- daryljamesandthegiantpeach likes this
- cotoru likes this
- izzoid likes this
- whothehellsthishuy reblogged this from laughingsquid
- theycallitatrend likes this
- nellodee likes this
- blue-vans-and-alli-jones likes this
- achhase likes this
- backtosquareoneagain reblogged this from laughingsquid
- chronic-queen likes this
- carnationdead likes this
- sexianimal likes this
- willy32154 likes this
- zubieftw reblogged this from laughingsquid and added:
- claireblaine likes this
- therearekingsamongus reblogged this from pardeemonster
- uncontrollabletemptations reblogged this from laughingsquid
- twirlywhirly843 likes this
- kikibustewart likes this
- muteddoll reblogged this from laughingsquid and added:
- rianehrtsbooks likes this
- klullaby78 likes this
- lopez728 likes this
- arralynelizabeth likes this
- cosmichaxe reblogged this from laughingsquid
- dm2897 reblogged this from laughingsquid
- vampireboy69 likes this
- shucklefuckles reblogged this from laughingsquid